Monday, July 7, 2008

Apricot and Mixed Berry Jam

Because of preserving, I have come to understand that I'm not that precise when it comes to recipes (formulas), so I will rarely get to name a concoction as a jam since I never know whether it will actually jell. This recipe includes pectin, and even with only half a package, I am confident that it is not a "sauce" as so many of my preserves have become.


Ingredients:
2C blackberries with a few strawberries (I only had 8)
2C apricots
3 1/2C sugar
1 1/2T raspberry champagne vinegar
1T white balsamic vinegar
1/2 pkg pectin

Directions:

Place the fruit into a 4 quart, non reactive pan, add the sugar, add the vinegar, or lemon if you prefer and start stirring over a medium flame. Most berry or apricot recipes require lemon, but not having any on hand, I decided to add a vinegar for the acid. Since I believed I needed a 6% vinegar and the raspberry champagne was 6 1/2%, I decided to use some white balsamic too, although the bottle did not identify the acidity, I believe it was around 5%. I doubt it added much to the flavor.

After the ingredients have mixed well, raise the heat on the stove top to high and bring the fruit to a rolling boil, after adding the pectin. I decided to use an immersion blender on this preserve. After the jam has boiled, pack into sterilized jars and seal. I got lazy on this one and did not do a 10 minute water bath. When I first learned to can I always skipped the water bath processing, since I was always making jams and pickles, two of the least worrisome of canned products.

No comments: