Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Clam Stew

When life hands you a lemon you make lemonade, but what do you do with clams? I had an opportunity to find out. Over the holidays I succumbed to the purchase of a bag of clams; way too many for only the two of us. After making my shellfish pasta I still had dozens of clams left and they needed to be used quickly because I had purchased them 5 days earlier. Since I like oyster stew, it seemed a natural to try a clam stew, especially since I already had cream in the house.
Ingredients:
4-5 doz. clams
1C Tocai Friulano (dry white wine)
3T extra virgin olive oil
2 shallots
2 ripe Roma tomatoes
1 pt. heavy cream
salt & pepper

Directions:
Wash the clams and place in a 6-8 quart pot for steaming. Add the wine, olive oil and minced shallots, then cover with a lid and heat over medium heat to steam the clams open.

When the clams have opened, remove their shells and place all clam meat into the pot.  Lower the heat to a simmer.
You may now season the soup by adding salt & pepper or thyme. I didn't add the herb, but believe it would work in this recipe. 
Thinly slice and chop 2 Roma tomatoes and add them to the pot. I added them for color, so you could sub parsley or cilantro if you prefer.

Pour the cream into the soup and stir, allow it to lightly simmer for five minutes before serving.



I prefer a thin soup to be served with bread, so I toasted and buttered slices of Pugliese bread, then placed them in the bottom of the bowl, before adding the stew.
Rich, clammy and delicious; definitely a keeper recipe.

No comments: