Saturday, October 1, 2011

Smokey Linguica Split Pea Soup

Every Fall when the weather starts turning a bit cold, I like to start more soup experiments. After all the soup I’ve made, it seems that success rates are usually high and the only thing holding me back would be lack of inspiration or ingredients. Well, the pantry is stocked and soup is on.

DSC00400

Ingredients:

1/2 bag green split peas
1 linguica sausage
1 large yellow onion
1t smoked paprika
1t dried thyme
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
water

Directions:

DSC00383DSC00386DSC00387DSC00390

As with all soups, I start with chopped onions in olive oil. Next I add the thyme with salt and pepper, then saute until the onions wilt. Add the smoked paprika, stir in, then add chopped linguica and saute some more until the sausage is slightly browned.

DSC00392

Since this was a deliberately small batch, I only used half a small bag of split peas. I added water until it was an inch over the other ingredients, covered the pot, lowered the heat to a simmer and let time and heat work it’s magic.

DSC00412

This was a quick dinner that I’ll be making again. I may add more smoked paprika and some fresh garlic on my next attempt to reinforce the flavor of the linguica, or perhaps, just more linguica.

No comments: