Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Fennel and Peppers Salad

The fall garden was my inspiration for this salad. I kept lamenting the fact that I had never picked the radicchio before it went to seed; until I remembered how wonderfully vegetable blossoms mimic their vegetable flavor, so I picked some and thought they'd work in a colorful salad.


Ingredients:
1 large red Bell pepper
1 large fennel bulb
1 mildly hot pepper
2C mixed cherry tomatoes (red, orange and yellow)
1 small red onion
10 - 15 radicchio blossoms
red wine vinegar
extra virgin olive oil with an herb or grassy taste
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Slice the peppers, fennel and onion very finely, then add the whole cherry tomatoes and mix. Drizzle the olive oil over the salad, then add salt and pepper and mix again. Add a small amount of the vinegar at the end and stir. You should taste it at this point and add more vinegar or salt if necessary.

No comments: