Monday, September 3, 2007

Peach Melba Marmalade

This recipe came as a splendid solution to using leftover fruit from other preserve projects. The raspberry puree was leftover from an ice cream project and was my main point of inspiration. I needed to use it, had leftover yellow peaches and a vague memory of Peach Melba tied them together. The vanilla was the last element in a Peach Melba flavor profile. Since I had been saving many lemon peels after using their juice in other jam recipes, I decided to make this into a marmalade. I also have learned that the amount of pectin in lemon peel is favorable for setting the jell. What could I lose?


Ingredients:
6C firm yellow peaches
2/3C raspberry puree
4C sugar
1C cooked and slivered lemon peels
1 vanilla bean
2T French pear vinegar

Directions:

After thawing the raspberry puree, add the coarsely chopped peaches, sugar and vinegar to the pot ans stir over a medium heat. Being out of lemons, I decided to use a fruit vinegar for the acid in this recipe, so subbing lemon juice would be fine.

Split one vanilla bean and scrape it, adding both the bean and the scrapings to the pot along with the cooked lemon peel. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 30-45 minutes until the color changes to a more warm hue. Place in sterilized jars and process in a water bath for 10 minutes.

This recipe makes 3 1/2 pints of marmalade.

No comments: