Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sausage & Cheese Omelet

Since I had filling left over from the sausage and cheese turnovers, I decided to put them to good use. It seemed a natural fit for an omelet and worked out quite well. I especially love to work out secondary uses for leftovers. I just had to post the photo this way, otherwise it looks like a smiley face.


















Ingredients:
2 extra large eggs
1T whole milk, cream or water (I'm not fussy)
Sausage and chipotle cheese filling
1 chopped green onion

Directions:
If you don't have a Teflon coated 8" frying pan, then a small seasoned, cast iron frying pan will work or any small frying pan coated with a little olive oil or butter will do the trick.

After you have put the frying pan over medium heat, crack the eggs into a bowl and beat in the liquid of your choice. I don't know why I do this, but it works for a fluffier omelet.



When the egg starts to cook I always roll the pan to make sure the sides of the omelet will not be too thin. As soon as I see bubbles forming I know the egg is cooked enough to add filling.



Start by cleaning and chopping the green onion. I use the green part exclusively, but could easily add the white portion as well. It's all about the color contrast when I select ingredients.
Try to add the filling and spread it out enough so it will warm up. Most often I prefer having everything that I add to an omelet at room temperature when I start. that way everything is warm when the eggs are fully cooked.
















When the eggs are almost fully cooked and no longer runny, start loosening the edges of the omelet with a spatula and flip one side over the other. I make certain that the fold is parallel to the pan handle, for easier plating. If you notice the first photo, the crust is darker than that of this photo, because I always let the omelet finish cooking for another minute or two, before turning it over onto the dish.

No comments: