Sunday, July 15, 2007

Veal ala Evelyn

Having never before seen this recipe, I'm taking a chance posting it, but our aunt was a great cook and I'm including this as it is obviously of her own making. I'm willing to try it, in fact anxious to try it, but I have to say that Chef Boyardee will not be part of it for me. I'll use anything but that!

Ingredients:
8 veal steaks
flour for dredging
oil for browning the meat
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
1 14.5 oz can Chef Boyardee mushroom sauce
14.5 oz if water (the can is handy for measuring)
1/2 can burgundy wine (1 cup)
2 green onions
2T capers
1/2 Bell pepper
grated cheese

Directions:
Brown the veal after dredging it in flour, then place it in a large baking dish. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then add a 14.5 oz can of mushroom sauce and wine. Top with green onion, capers, Bell pepper and grated cheese. Bake for an hour to an hour and a quarter in a 325 degree oven.

Note:
This recipe does not indicate type of oil or cheese, but I know that Evelyn always had Star olive oil in the house and would probably have used freshly grated Romano cheese.

There is also not indication as to how the green onion or Bell pepper are cut. I believe I'll dice them for easier layering.

No comments: