Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Cucumber Sorbet

It's true, necessity is indeed the mother of invention. I was looking for a palate cleanser to serve inbetween a soup and main course and hadn't seen one that I liked. I looked at a cucumber I had picked from the garden and it seemed a good base for such a sorbet. Then came the hard part, actually constructing an interesting recipe. I knew I had to add simple syrup to the sorbet base, so I decided to work with a Thai cucumber salad concept, because of it's sweet & sour character.


Ingredients:
1 1/2C of peeled, pureed cucumber
3/4C simple sugar syrup
1T Pineapple vinegar
1t mint
1t parsley
1t extra virgin olive oil
1t Sciabica Jalepeno olive oil
1/4t finely ground chili flakes
1/2t salt
Directions:
After pureeing the cucumber, add the other ingredients and puree once more until the herbs have broken down into very small pieces. Chill the mixture for at least 1 hour and then pour into your ice cream maker to freeze. Follow manufacturers instructions. then pack into a freezer container aand store in the freezer, but let sit at room temperature for a few minutes to serve.
Notes:
You may omit the chili flakes, but a bit of heat is nice so this can be served with Mae Ploy sauce. This recipe makes about half a pint.

No comments: