Sunday, November 11, 2007

A-Z Soup

I often long for the days when Nana would prepare a simple soup for dinner, and wish I had asked for more recipes than I did. This is my homage to her excellent taste and great talent with few ingredients. The name is taken from the pasta and main vegetable. It seems that any soup I come up with will always taste like hers, as long as I add tomato paste and Romano cheese.


Ingredients:

6 zucchini finely chopped
1 medium yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
1T fresh sage leaves
1 1/2C ring pasta (Anelli Siciliani or Anelletti)
1 64 oz. can chicken broth
1T tomato paste
salt & pepper to taste
freshly grated pecorino cheese to garnish

Directions:
Saute the onion and thyme in the olive oil, then add the finely chopped zucchini and saute until almost soft. Add in the tomato paste and cook it a few minutes to insure best flavor. Now add the chicken broth, or stock if you have it and bring to a boil.

Add the pasta to the soup and cook over medium heat until the pasta is cooked to your taste, al dente or fully cooked. Now plate and sprinkle generously with Pecorino Romano.

No comments: