Thursday, August 12, 2010

Salami & Pesto Salad

Salads make up a good portion of our vegetable intake and I'm always looking for a way to expand the repertoire, so this is my take off on a Cobb Salad, nothing about it is similar, but that was the inspiration regardless. Well, okay, there are meat & greens, I'll give it that.

Ingredients:
1 small red onion
2 medium sized ripe tomatoes

1 large yellow or orange bell pepper
1 head Romaine lettuce
1 stalk celery
3 oz. spicy salami slices
1 T fresh pesto
extra virgin olive oil
red wine vinegar
salt and pepper

Directions:

Slice the onion and tomatoes, then add in the pepper that has been cored and seeded, then chopped. Next, cut the salami slices into thin strips and add those as well, then rough chop the celery and add it along with the salt and pepper to the bowl. Drizzle on the olive oil and toss, add the vinegar and toss again. Rough chop the romaine heart, adding it to the bowl, and toss everything again.

After the salad has been tossed and dressed, add the dollop of fresh pesto and mix thoroughly into the salad. I stopped here, but believe I missed a great opportunity to also add shaved Parmigiano Reggiano to this mix. I'll certainly have to try that next time I make this salad.

No comments: