Monday, February 2, 2015

Pasta Frittata

DSC07071
Ever since I heard that Italians made a frittata with leftover pasta I’ve been wanting to try one. Nonna ate plenty of leftover pasta for breakfast, and Nana reheated pasta all the time with a tiny bit of water to keep it from drying out, but neither of them ever mixed it with an egg, nor had they fried it in olive oil.
DSC07061DSC07064
For more years than I can remember, we never accumulated leftover pasta. But now, I find myself not eating portions as large as they used to be, so on this occasion the leftovers were available, although there wasn’t a large amount. I had about a cup of leftover perciatelli, that is a bit wider than spaghetti, made with my standard meat sauce and sprinkled with Pecorino Romano cheese, so I mixed it a little at a time with 3 extra large eggs.
DSC07066 
I heated a non stick frying pan with a little extra virgin olive oil and brought it to a medium temperature, then added the egg and pasta mixture. I lowered the heat slightly and when the edges looked brown, took a peek underneath to see of it looked ready to turn over. With a spatula I did turn over the frittata.
DSC07069
It was a beautiful golden brown, so I cooked the 2nd side to match, then plated the entire thing. This dish could work very well as part of a brunch menu.

No comments: